Assignment 1 Submission 2: Critical Reflection

At the beginning of the module, we were all tasked to set two goals that we would want to achieve from the course of this module. That’s where I began to reflect back on the times where I had lacked proper communication which in turn put forth the wrong intentions. One of the main causes were due to my speech being too direct and I failed to include important details that would properly convey the entire intention of my conversation. That was where critical thinking frameworks like Rodger’s Reflective Cycle, Natasha Kenny’s Critical Reflection Process came in handy, and I was amazed by how critical thinking is actually more than just deep-thinking itself. Critical thinking has principles and proper flow cycles to help build clarity, logical development and systematic thinking.

Being lucky enough to be chosen to present on the Dewey’s Model of Reflective Thought and Action on the 3rd week of the class, it was then that I learnt how to process my thoughts better, build reasons to support my hypothesis and properly construct a flow when presenting my ideas. Being tasked to understand and teach the class such a topic that requires such in depth understanding, has further intrigued me on the process of thinking critically and has definitely led to me being more confident in my presentation and writing skills. This has resulted in me being more fluent in my speeches while having proper flow and depth.

The greatest skill I am proud to have attained from this module, is the ability to present effectively and confidently in front of my peers. I've learnt how to effectively make use of different resources like "persuasive team-based presentation skillset" and "making an effective elevator pitch" to prepare for a presentation. Utilizing these resources  has taught me how to sort my words and thoughts into different content boxes. With that, I was able to present proficiently and confidently for my Oral Presentation without memorizing scripts.

As for the research project, I was teamed up with Zach and Qiyi. Our research was primarily focused on assisting the visually impaired community, which is the smart cane by WeWalk. I believe that our topic was an excellent choice, and I am proud to say that it was something that I had always wished to dived deeper into, ever since exploring it during my polytechnic days. As for our team dynamics, my group was a mess as we weren’t aligned at all. Our differing work ethics, in terms of time management, vision and vocalizing of our thoughts set us back but I was glad that we were still able to find time together to work on the task on hand. Ultimately, it is through our unique differences that I learnt how to write in different styles and techniques.

For our presentation, I am appreciative of how my team and I were able to discuss and work together well despite our tight schedules and numerous submissions during exam season. It is definitely through this time where we were truly tested on our stress management and capability to work effectively but overall, I am very thankful for their contributions in completing this project.

To summarize, I am more than glad to be one of Professor Brad’s students. Being given constant constructive feedback for all my work is something that I appreciate deeply, especially knowing where I can grow further and learn. I would say that his unique way of teaching has allowed each and every one of us to grow beyond where we were at the beginning of his class. I sincerely thank Professor Brad for this experience and I hope to prove what I have learnt on my Capstone project.

Comments

  1. Dear YiDa,

    Thank you very much for this well organized and highly detailed critical reflection. I appreciate how you’ve addressed key facets of both your module learning and the project and that you considered aspects of the work you did and multiple takeaways. You’ve also written with very fine fluency.

    All the best as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment